Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Purchasing Multiple Copies of the Same Book


When I moved to fifth grade this past year, I decided I wanted to move away from the reading series a little bit and do more novel studies. This worked out wonderfully in my classroom, but I did have a problem in the beginning: how could I get my hands on 25 class copies of the same book? I had a cabinet full of books, but I wanted to use novels that I had already planned out. After a friend mentioned using Scholastic book orders to gain class sets of novels, I thought this was a brilliant idea! Scholastic always features a book in every order that is listed for $1. I kept an eye out for good quality novels that were $1 but never saw any. 
One day during plan I stumbled onto a page on the Scholastic Reading Club (formerly Scholastic Book Club) site that showed all of the $1 books. I looked around for a bit, but then my kids returned from PE and I clicked off the page. I ended up having to call Scholastic to see how to get to the page again and that's when the representative taught me a little trick:


If you search for "$1" it will bring up all the books that are currently listed for $1! I was able to buy my class set of Tuck Everlasting this way and I also snagged a class set of The Westing Game. There aren't nearly as many upper grade books right now as there are lower elementary, so kindergarten and 1st grade friends: be sure to check it out! :)




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip!
    -Lovely Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like you read my mind! I just ended my 1st year and the thought if spending hundreds on novel studies made me ill. Just went to scholastic and got class sets as well as small group sets. Can't thank you enough!!!

    ReplyDelete