Thursday, May 29, 2014

Teaching Fractions with The Little Red Hen

If you've followed my blog for awhile, you might remember this post from last year. When I taught first grade, I loved teaching math! I never thought I'd say that because I am so not a math person and I absolutely adore reading, but first grade math is fun! Fractions were my favorite thing to teach and I did a great lesson last year that really helped my kids understand the concept of fractions. We read the book The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza and created our own hens and pizza. Then we divided our pizzas in fourths and pretend to share a fraction of it with a friend. They LOVED this and using a real life example helped them understand what 1/4 or 3/4 meant. You can find this craft and more in my mini unit on fractions. :)





Grab your copy here!



                                                               

0 comments:

Post a Comment